By K A Mian
LAHORE: The Federal Minister for Education, Shafqat Mehmood has announced that the students of class ninth and 11th would be promoted into the next class without exams. He made this announcement while addressing a press conference in Islamabad here on Thursday.
Speaking to media personnel the Federal Minister said that it had been decided in the National Coordination Committee to shut down the schools till July 15. It was also announced that the final examinations for classes 9, 10 and intermediate would not be held.
In this regard, a detailed meeting participated by all the provincial education ministers and secretaries held to decide the promotion policy with regard to education in the country as it fights the coronavirus pandemic which attended by all the provincial education ministers.
Speaking at the occasion, the Federal Minister said that around 4 million students of class 9, 10, 11 and 12 had to appear in the examinations this year. Keeping in view the health and safety of the children, it was important to devise a strategy whereby their academic year would not go to waste.
Mehmood expressed the students of class 9th and 11th would not appear in the examination this year and they would be promoted to the next classes 10th and 12th respectively. He said that those promoted to class 10 and 12 would only appear into the final examinations for the same, not composite exams as it has learnt that the result of 10th class is better than 9th comparatively. For these students, the result of their previous class would be calculated based on their new class’ result.
Announcing decisions taken for students of classes 10 and 12, the education minister said that their results would be evaluated based on marks obtained in classes 9 and 11, provided the students had cleared all the subjects. He said that these students would be awarded 3% extra marks. He also said that those “failing in less than 40% subjects in 9 and 11 would be given [a] passing grade”.
The Federal Minister told that special exams would be conducted between September and November for students who had been divided into four categories. Speaking of the different categories of students, he said that one category comprises students who were not satisfied with their class 11 exams and wish to improve their result in class 12. The second category consisted of those students who were to appear in composite exams this year. The third category has students who wished to improve their results in a few subjects. The fourth category has students who failed in more than 40% of the subjects in class 11.
The Federal Minister while sharing details about exams said that all those students who are dissatisfied with their results of class, 11th can take the special exam in September, November. Those students who were taking the composite exam and did not get their result of the 11th can also take the exam in Sep-Nov.
He also announced that those students who have passed in only a few subjects could also appear for the examination in Sep and Nov, while those who failed in more than 40 per cent of the subjects can also appear for the examination in September and November.
The Education Minister maintained that those wishing to appear in these exams must inform their boards by July 1.
While talking about the decision of Punjab government on the matter, the federal minister said that the province “has decided to take into consideration Matric exam already taken”. He concluded that a policy statement on practical marks would be issued by the provincial education department.